ᴄᴀʀʀʏɪɴɢ ᴀ sᴡᴏʀᴅ ʙᴜᴛ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ɴᴀᴍᴇ, ᴀ Fɪɢᴜʀᴇ ʀᴜɴs ᴀᴄʀᴏss ᴛʜᴇ ʙʀɪᴅɢᴇ ʙᴇᴛᴡᴇᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇᴀᴠᴇɴs ᴀɴᴅ ᴇᴀʀᴛʜ.

Oh, ᴀ ᴍᴇssᴇɴɢᴇʀ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇɪᴛʏ ʜᴀs ᴄᴏᴍᴇ!

❀ Previous Theory(until I write about my new, current one)❀

Kunitsu-Gami lore as its own entity: looking at myth of the mountain god and new ideas on Cursed Soh's identity.

Wednesday, 1 July 2026

Kunitsu-Gami Game Design Commentary 21: Cursed Torii Gate

■第21回 腕が4本あった時と無くなった時、呪縛鳥居
異界への入口であり出口の門番。体内から出てくるイメージでデザインしました。
鳥居に取り憑いて道を奪っている、大きな干からびた人型です。あれ、デザイン的には書くことがあまりない。
祓われる時にリアクション等が分かり易くなる様に大きくしました。(一番大事なので)
鳥居前で敵を狩る事を阻止するために、鳥居自体も動いて攻撃してくる時代もありましたが、その役目は他に奪われ今に至ります。
■21st Round: The Cursed Torii When I Had Four Arms and When I Didn't, Binding Bird Gate
The gatekeeper of the entrance and exit to the other world. I designed it with an image emerging from within the body.
A large, withered humanoid figure possessing the torii and stealing the path. Huh, design-wise, there's not much to write about.
I made it large so that reactions and such are easier to understand when it's exorcised. (This is the most important part.)
There was an era when the torii itself would move and attack to prevent enemies from hunting in front of it, but that role has been taken over by others, and here we are now.

I wanted more lore on the design itself, like the marking on its forehead.
And its resemblance to Nanamagari?

It would've been cool to see these ideas incorporated into the DLC.