ᴄᴀʀʀʏɪɴɢ ᴀ sᴡᴏʀᴅ ʙᴜᴛ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀ ɴᴀᴍᴇ, ᴀ Fɪɢᴜʀᴇ ʀᴜɴs ᴀᴄʀᴏss ᴛʜᴇ ʙʀɪᴅɢᴇ ʙᴇᴛᴡᴇᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇᴀᴠᴇɴs ᴀɴᴅ ᴇᴀʀᴛʜ.

Oh, ᴀ ᴍᴇssᴇɴɢᴇʀ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇɪᴛʏ ʜᴀs ᴄᴏᴍᴇ!

❀ Previous Theory(until I write about my new, current one)❀

Kunitsu-Gami lore as its own entity: looking at myth of the mountain god and new ideas on Cursed Soh's identity.

Wednesday, 15 July 2026

Kunitsu-Gami Game Design Commentary 27: Kagokaburi(かごかぶり)

■第27回 何だこいつは!?ラッキーボーナスだよ、かごかぶり
籠、箱から手足が生えている、ネタキャラ。実は仏法僧を運ぶ畏哭としてデザインしていました。
この箱の中に巨人の仏法僧が入っている的な。色々あって目先の金に釣られて現場を疎かにする状況を作りたいという、
意地悪な発想から、お宝放出畏哭となりました。本当に箱から手足が生えている位に考えていた所、
モデリングの際に構造が具体化され、それを見てなるほどな…と感心しました。
異界遷宮ではプレイヤーにとっては強力な助っ人でもあります!
■27th Round: What the Heck Is This!? Lucky Bonus, It's the Basket-Headed One  
A comedic character with arms and legs sprouting from a basket or box. Actually, it was designed as a fearsome entity for transporting the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.  
The idea was something like a giant Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha crammed inside this box. From a mischievous concept of creating a situation where, due to various circumstances, one gets tempted by immediate gains and neglects the site at hand,  
it became the Treasure-Releasing Fearsome Entity. I had envisioned it to the extent of arms and legs literally growing out of the box,  
but during modeling, the structure became more concrete, and seeing that, I was genuinely impressed, like, "Ah, I see..."  
In the Otherworldly Migration Palace, it's also a powerful ally for the player!

Plaque Lore:
ある村に、たいそう金持ちな屋敷やしきがあった。屋敷やしきで働くも精が出ない男がたまたま、屋敷やしきの主のかくし財産の話を聞いてしまう。ついが差した男はかごぬすんでしまうが、屋敷やしきの用人に見つかり討伐とうばつされてしまったという。その亡骸なきがらかごから手と足が生えた不思議で不気味な姿をしていたと記されている。
There once was a village with a mansion full of riches. One day, a boy of lowly birth employed there heard rumors of the lord owner's secret stash of treasures. Struck with greed, the boy attempted to run off with a basket of riches, but was quickly caught by the other servants and executed. It is written that the basket clutched by the corpse of the young boy became shrouded in an ominous aura as it sprouted arms and legs.
Such an adorable thing! He carried me in the DLC. 

The commentary on greed is accurate. I died many times in the DLC because I rush to grab this box-boy and then get one-shot smacked by a gaki as I'm charging up.

The google translation says 'A man who worked at the mansion but lacked motivation happened to overhear the owner of the mansion talking about his hidden fortune.'
So I wonder if he heard rumors or overheard some things...